Sunday 1 July 2012

Famous Five (minus three)


I’ve been tagged, and I’m thrilled; it’s like being asked to join the party. And when the tagger is SAHDandproud, that’s some party to be asked to join. His tagger was Tom Briggs at Diary of the Dad, so I thank him for throwing this bash in the first place.

It’s not a ‘come as you are’ party, but a ‘come as five well-known people you’ve been told you look like’ party. And that presents a problem: I have only ever been told that I look like two people.

First, a little scene-setting. This is who I’d like to look like:


Strangely, no one has ever commented on the resemblance.

This is what, on a bad day, I think I look like:


It’s the nose. I hate mine.

And this is what I do look like:


Now years ago, when my face was fresh and Neighbours was huge, I was apparently a dead ringer for Jason Donovan. Old ladies used to accost me in the library where I worked and croak ‘You know who you remind me of?’. One of them regularly called me Jason when it was my turn to stamp out her large-print Mills & Boons (this was in the days before barcodes and scanning and self-service).

See if you can spot the likeness.



Fast forward a decade and a half, and the chief executive of the company I worked for said she had finally worked out who I looked like. Andrew Rawnsley. By this time Google had been invented, so I could see whether she was complimenting me or not. I decided not, but reluctantly concurred that she had a point.


Then a month ago I had a nice man from John Lewis in to fix some blinds. On his first visit he said ‘You know who you remind me of?’ I waited nervously. ‘My cousin in Mauritius.’ Since he had no photo on him, I was unable to decide whether was a Good Thing or a Bad Thing.

On his second visit he said again: ‘You know who you remind me of?’

‘Your cousin in Mauritius?’

‘No. Jason Donovan.’

So it would seem to be official. The years may have taken their toll on our fresh faces and our hairlines, but Jason and I have still got something going…


This party is a respectable one. Invitation only. So I invite these utterly brilliant bloggers to join in. Mainly because I'm curious to see what they come up with.


6 comments:

  1. Wow, you could make a fortune from being a JD lookalike. Or maybe someone should tell him that HE looks like YOU. Uncanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it could be worse, I suppose. Imagine making a career as a David Mellor lookalike. I'm thinking you'll come up with Winona Ryder...

      Delete
  2. Wow, you could make a fortune from being a JD lookalike. Or maybe someone should tell him that HE looks like YOU. Uncanny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you could make a fortune from being a JD lookalike. Or maybe someone should tell him that HE looks like YOU. Uncanny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought you had an air about you of Dame Edith Sitwell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the turbans and big jewellery that does it.

      Delete